What a mad month! July 2009

The Big News

473 blogs were nominated from 26 countries and 5000 readers voted placing Kalinago English as #9 in the Bab.la/Lexiophiles list of top language teaching blogs!!!

For other winning categories, see :

Crazy, don't really know quite what to say.

It's a mega honor, so to all of you who voted:



THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH
;-)



And if that's not enough, just as insanely, it's currently the no. 1 blog on OneStopEnglish blogs!

Hmmm... are you guys liking reading my rants or it's the pretty picture of the sailboats that keep bringing you back?



Anyhoo, on to

Summary of July's Postings


This month I wrote:

Lessons/ lesson tips:

Social-networking:
Rants and musings:


Coming Next Month...

The series on She-In-ELT kicks off this month and I've got some seriously fantastic guest-pieces lined up.

Towards the middle of the month I'll be doing a feature piece on ELT teacher trainers who are on LinkedIn (check the discussion pages of the LinkedIn groups: BESIG/ Teacher-trainers for details).

And will also be posting up a workshop review regarding David Graddol's fascinating research into the current state of English and other languages.

For those of you on Twitter, that's how I got to meet @ShellTerrell and @EnglishProfi! Such fun ;-).

The long awaited Advice for NOObie bloggers will be going up early next week plus a really awesome speaking skills game/lesson worksheet in the pipeline.



On Life


Isn't summer supposed to be when everything goes a bit quiet and you get to catch up on important life stuff? Mine's all been a bit nuts and I've had to do quite a bit of juggling to get everything to fit together.

My cousin Pat, her husband and son were here and I discovered that there is actually a LegoLand not far from Stuttgart - we had great fun together and Chris declared that Stuttgart is all about fountains and trains.

He's right.

I started working on a materials writing project for Klett and also confirmed a major client for ESP: IT classes + community based language learning platform to begin October. Very chuffed about this.

Despite all this, I actually had a holiday!

Ran off to Malta for five days of relaxation, recharging the batteries via forced unplugging of the internet and all other electronic devices and instead caught up on some important reading - booked the holiday with a last minute travel agent and somehow ended up staying in a palace built by the Knights of St. John!



Read 5 books.

Okay, 4 and a half. There was a lot of waiting around in airports.



I really enjoyed Hape Kerkeling's I'm Off Then - about his Camino de Santiago - it's funnier in German but still, as I'd listened to this pre-pilgrimage, it was a treat reading about the places that I'd been to myself along the road and recognizing experiences.

On the same sort of theme, I then read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - absolutely recommend this if you're into travel/exploring spirituality books. She journeys through Italy, India and Indonesia and talks about what happens to her there.

Then, of course, I got a bit serious and did my homework. Ploughed my way through Hugh McLeod's Ignore Everybody and Seth Godin's Purple Cow. Both excellent books on creativity.



Lastly, I read most of Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers which I'd been meaning to get to for ages.

Now that I'm back, haven't finished it. Pah!

Hope you've been having an awesome summer too!

Best,
Karenne

7 Responses to “What a mad month! July 2009”

  • Shelly Terrell says:
    July 31, 2009

    Congratulations! You deserve the win and the Malta trip! Thank you for the updates because as a balancer of many frogs I need them to keep up with you.

  • Barbara Sakamoto says:
    July 31, 2009

    Thank for all that you've done to create community among ELTers. I always enjoy your blog posts, and look forward to seeing what you come up with next--I know I won't be disappointed!

  • Tara Benwell says:
    July 31, 2009

    Hey Karenne,

    This is so cool. I love it when hard working true-to-life people get rewarded. Congrats to you. That's awesome about One-stop.

    Cheers,
    Tara

  • Carol Goodey says:
    August 01, 2009

    Congratulations, Karenne! It's very well deserved recognition! Thanks for so many lively and interesting posts and looking forward to what's coming up!

  • DaveESLetc says:
    August 04, 2009

    Congrats, Karenne!

    That's quite an accomplishment! Glad to hear you've been able to enjoy a bit of your summer as well.

    I've been teaching. It's been great, but I'm looking forward to a break. We had our end of term celebration yesterday. I'm planning to spend some time exploring the Florida panhandle.

    Take care,
    Dave

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    August 04, 2009

    *Blush* Thanks very much guys for your best wishes ;-)

    Dave, panhandling sounds fun - hope to see some pics

    Barbara and Carol, do hope I won't disappoint

    Tara, hmmm -not quite sure what's happening on OneStop - there are really, really great blogs over there -not sure I can keep up!

    Shelly, the trick to frog jugglin' is hitting them all back into cyberspace, blindly ;-)

    K

  • Janet Bianchini says:
    August 12, 2009

    Congratulations on all your fantastic achievements. Being Numero Uno on onestopblogs is well deserved! Look forward to learning with you. Glad you had a good rest in Malta. Fab pictures!

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work