If you could go back in time, do something else or be someone else what would you do? What do you still hope to achieve before you die?
Susan Boyle, a Scottish, unemployed 47 year woman just stumbled into fame and fell into the hearts of millions.
By taking part in ITV's 'Britain's Got Talent' competition she showed us that ducklings can still become swans, that dreams must never ever be given up on.
She strode on to the stage with chutzpah, took the jeers from the crowd and with her head held high opened her mouth. The sound that came out made my stomach flip and tears prickle at my eyes.
- I joined her Facebook Fan club.
- I worried about the consequences of her new fame.
- I thought about her cat.
- A friend gave me a play-by-playback of her choice expressions, perfectly imitating her accent.
- I spent way too many hours creating a lesson plan for our students.
Do they have dreams, goals, objectives they'd still like to accomplish? I bet they do. And I bet they'll love this:
If you enjoyed using this lesson with your students don't forget to share it with colleagues, and of course, don't hesitate to let me know now what you think of Susan Boyle's performance - go on, tell me, how many times have you watched the video too?
p.s Thanks muchly, Lisa, for helping me out with the editing!
Any possible errors, typos etc though are all mine - find any, do let me know. thnx.
p.p.s If you like working with videos in the classroom, Jamie Keddie's TEFL clips is 'chocka' with great lessons.
p.p.p.s Here are the links to global teachers who have also been using the Susan Boyle saga in their classes and blogging about it, many different approaches and tips - definitely worth have a look at so you can continue extend the lesson or do something different:
- Susana Canelo: http://endelvallesi.blogspot.com/2009/04/peoples-appearance_24.html
- Natasa Grojic: http://lunas994.blogspot.com/2009/04/lets-have-susan-boyle-moment.html
- Janet Abruzzo: http://civitaquana.blogspot.com/2009/05/susan-boyle-two-lesson-plans.html
The Susan Boyle EFL Lesson Plan by Karenne Sylvester is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.