Tech Tips for ELT Trainers-2: Be Brave

While browsing around the net, following one link after and another, I landed up in a Ning group called Classroom 2.0 which I promptly joined as the members there clearly know a lot about the various teaching practices using technology.

One of the pages I visited was a blogger called David Truss who writes a blog called A Pair of Dimes. He has created a beautiful video called the brave new world.

So after my personal-story-rant on why EFL teachers should really start using technology (here) in their classrooms, I thought it’d be fitting to use this as part of the Monday tech-tips series.

He’s agreed to let me post it up here and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Wasn’t that just great?

Now come on and join those of us producing dynamic lessons, interesting, pedagogically sound materials –there is a shift in education happening today and I do hope you want to be a part of it.

There are a lot of tools and a lot to learn (see article here) so every Monday I’ll add one more tip and we’ll get you there, bit by bit.

5 Responses to “Tech Tips for ELT Trainers-2: Be Brave”

  • Anonymous says:
    March 09, 2009

    Hi Karenne

    Another great post and great video. Thanks, really made my afternoon. I'm off to do a multimedia class tonight on the subject of Canada!

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    March 10, 2009

    Hi Lindsay,

    I thought you'd like it - David's blog is from your part of the world! Hope your multimedia class was loads of fun, looking forward to hearing more ;-)

    K

  • Anonymous says:
    March 13, 2009

    You guys are scaring me! I mean, jeepers creepers, is it really necessary to be so so very connected with everything? I mean, I totally see the usefulness of some of these applications and ideas. Others I've given a shot and I'm just not convinced that it's all that useful. Twitter? Delicious? Digg? Maybe I just don't get it. I've got my hands full with just my stupid old blog (and the occasional video lesson of course)...To each his own, no?

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    March 15, 2009

    Hmmm Nicky,

    You're right -to each his own. It is definitely not necessary to become a master of every single application out there but I do think it is necessary for teachers to get up to speed -a bit, at least.

    Education is changing dramatically and it'll be way, way too late for some if they don't attempt learning a few tricks now. The world's changing whether they like it or not.

    It's kind of like the horseshoe makers in the 1920's. I bet they were saying there was no need for them to change their professions and ways of working too.

    But yes, I agree 100% with you, not all of it is that useful or applicable to teaching - I guess the big thing is to experiment and then keep what you like. It depends so much on what you're doing.

    There are even some teachers who think blogging isn't a good idea - but here we both are rocking on up to the plate!

    I love Delicious though and I use this all the time to refind all those things I would have lost otherwise.

    Just getting to grips with Twitter so can't really say too much yet.

    Thanks for stopping by ;-)

    Karenne

  • Anonymous says:
    March 18, 2009

    Hi Karenne,
    This is the first time that I've seen the Classroom2.0 version of this video shared... thanks!
    I understand where Nicky is coming from about all the tools, and if I wasn't such a night owl I'd probablyl know half as much as I do. That said, I am hardly an expert and don't pretend to be one. The video was meant only as a story of my personal journey not as a path for others to follow. Using blogs and wikis with my classes transformed me as a teacher and a learner.
    What I know is that since blogging, twitter-ing, delicious-ing and now diigo-ing I've learned more that I ever have before. I'm connected to some amazing educators from around the world and 'we' mentor and help each other in ways that were not possible a few years ago.
    Finally, great idea about sharing your tech tips! I have a less used blog here: http://datruss.wordpress.com and the last 19 posts have links and tools that you can use to share here, if you like. Keep the sharing going... share-and-share-alike!
    All the best to you,
    Dave

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Blog Archive

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work